Openings for RLC Warming Shelter Staff
Resurrection Lutheran Church (RLC) operates the Juneau’s Cold Weather Emergency Shelter (aka the RLC Warming Shelter) under a contract from the CBJ. While many of last season’s staff are returning, there are 3 to 4 openings this season. Staff positions are part-time (1 to 4 nights per week) seasonal (late October to late April), pay $20.00 / hour with overtime pay, but with no other benefits. Staff members work generally from 10 pm to 7:30 am when temperatures are predicted to be below 32°. Primary responsibilities include:
- Operate shelter with another staff member (non-sleeping shift).
- Welcome, care for, assist, protect, and manage patrons of the shelter.
- Ensure patrons follow the shelter’s Code of Conduct.
- Follow our Guest Service Guiding Principles.
- Check in and complete AKHMIS paperwork (as needed) for patrons.
- Complete shift and incident reports.
- Provide services and support to patrons, including food service (dinner and breakfast).
- Set up, put away and straighten up shelter for next shift (depending on other uses of downstairs hall).
- Ability to simply listen to the shelter’s patrons experiencing homelessness.
Other requirements of the position are:
- Minimum GED diploma or equivalent, and experience commensurate with requirements of the position.
- Current First Aid, CPR, AK Food Handler, COVID vaccination cards (will assist in obtaining, if needed).
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
Training provided for the staff includes 20 hours initial training and 3 hours monthly training:
- Working with individuals experiencing:
- food scarcity;
- mental and physical health challenges; and
- substance dependency / abuse.
- De-escalation and conflict resolution.
- Self-reflection and stress-relief techniques.
- Active participation in monthly staff debriefings and group analysis.
- First Aid, CPR and AED.
- Hazmat and blood-borne pathogens.
- Safe food handling, preparation, and service.
- Record keeping, including AKHMIS intake and validation.
- Juneau, state, and federal social service programs.
- Customer service.
More information, including a complete position description and application can be found below. Contact RLC Warming Shelter Manager, Brad Perkins at 808-782-5795, email@example.com. Resumes/CVs with completed applications can be emailed to the same email.
Warming Shelter Position Description v 5 (10-01-22)
RLC WS Staff Application v 4 (10-14-22) (PDF version to print, fill in and scan or drop off at RLC)
RLC WS Staff Application v 4 (10-14-22) (Word version to be filled in on computer and emailed)
RLC WS Interview Form v 5 (10-14-22) (Get ready for your interview and see the questions – and answers)
Send application (and resume/CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Download RLC Warming Shelter Code of Conduct
Download RLC Warming Shelter Service Guidelines